Saturday, May 19, 2007

Lessons from a bike ride

I know, I know, I haven't blogged in a while but I do have a good excuse. My good friend, Traci, and her kiddos have been in town all week. We got to hang out a ton and they even got to spend the night with us a couple of nights. The kids had a great time playing together as always. Jarrett was in Tennesse for business so it was really nice having company while he was away. On Friday we took them to see Shrek the third and they loved it. Today, my mom, sister Kim, Ella, Madelyn and I went to OKC for my big sis's baby shower. It was a fun girls day and great celebrating my new nephew. Kris is due in a month and is getting really excited. I can't believe she is having a baby!!! She will be the big "40" this year.

Our big excitement of the week is that both Nathan and Madelyn are learning to ride their bikes without training wheels. Nathan really does well he just hasn't figured out the stopping thing. He is so proud of himself. Jarrett and I take turns holding on to them and running along side them. Madelyn cracks us up. She will not look forward, only side to side, so bless her heart she cannot keep her balance. As she falls she has the biggest smile on her face and is laughing hysterically. Ok, I am going to admit it, this milestone is really making me emotional. What is new?? Kathy getting emotional?
As I was running, holding onto the back of Nathan's bike he was yelling, "Mommy let go!" I responded, "But I am not ready too, sweetie." I instantly thought that this was a metaphor for where we are in his life right now. I can tell he is really trying to become more independent and he doesn't need me as much as he once did. I also know there will be many other times in his future where he wants me to let go, and I am going to have to even if I am not ready to.

So here are some lessons we have learned from learning to ride a bike:
1. When we fall, we get back up and try again.
2. It is ok to let go, even when we aren't ready to.
3. When you smile and laugh it makes everyone around you want to smile and laugh with you.
4. We cheer each other along!
5. We hug each other when we fall.
6. We have to wait our turn! (This one is hard for Madelyn, she stated, "Mom, I don't like to be patient!")
7. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I don't think you understand this blogging thing. You have to do it more than once a month!!!! I need to know what is going on with you!!!
BLOG!!!!
love you,
Traci