Sunday, March 30, 2008

I'M to Saxy!

Most of you know how careful I am when it comes to what I let my kids watch and listen to. Some people may even say I am a little to controlling but I strongly feel that I am supposed to protect my kids from stuff their sweet little minds can't handle yet. Jarrett and I also feel that as believers we are called to be "set apart". Being in this world but not "of" this world is a constant challenge to many parents, including us. Where do we draw those lines?? For instance, Nathan used to want to watch "Sponge Bob" While we don't think there is anything horribly wrong with the show we just don't think it is the "best" choice for him to be watching. There are subtle things in certain shows that teach our kids to be disrespectful to their parents are desensitizing to their minds. I know our views are probably unpopular but that is ok with us. We are in no means challenging what other parents do, we all have to handle things how God has called us to. Plus each child is different. When it comes to TV Nathan gets sucked in and can seriously tell you word for word what he has heard on a commercial, he doesn't flinch while the tv is on. On the other hand Madelyn plays, draws, and dances around while she watches tv. We are ultimately going to have to answer to Him.

Ok, I didn't mean for this to sound like a sermon. I really just wanted to preserve a funny story. In spite of my good intentions to "protect" my kids, Madelyn heard a song on a cd that I had given her that was totally inappropriate for her barely "5" ears. Several years ago we bought the movie "Shrek" and it came with a free cd of songs from the movie. Madelyn loves to listen to her music in her room and was listening to that CD the other day and apparently the song "I'm too Sexy" comes on. I HAD NO IDEA THAT SONG was on there. She walks into my room and says "Mommy listen to this, I'm to sexy for my shirt, to sexy for shirt, oh too sexy." She was even shaking her hips back and forth. I was trying so hard not to laugh but I couldn't help myself. Once I regained my composure, I asked her to bring me the CD. So she brought it to me and I explained to her that the #5 song was not a nice song to sing when you are 5. I told her that daddy would copy that cd for her just with out that song. She was satisfied with my lame explanation. A few minutes later I hear her explaining to Nathan that she is not supposed to sing "I'm to saxy for my shirt." She goes on to say that "saxy is not a nice word but saxophone is fine to say."

5 comments:

Steven said...

i do a little turn on the catwalk.........

Anonymous said...

LOL... seriously laughing out loud! yes, their little ears hear EVERYTHING!!!!!

Karen said...

Now that is a totaly new interperation of that song. I am so going to get Maddie a toy Saxy - oops Saxaphone!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!! That is just tooo tooo funny.

We need to talk... i haven't talked to you in foreva!!!

Mc Allen said...

well good for you kath-your a great mama!- there are even a few disney movies I wont let even my teens watch , they think I am such a geek! (I know, I can hardly believe that myself!) -maddy just cracks me up! hugs