Monday, March 9, 2009

Understanding

I don't understand. I am not meant to understand. But I wish I could. Things happen in our lives that just don't make sense or seem fair. My precious little sister and her family are hurting today. Most of you know their story. They have two sweet babies that passed away shortly after birth within the last two years. They were in the process of adopting baby Tess. The past few months they have prepared for her arrival and got to know the birth family. They brought Tess home from the hospital yesterday. The birthmom changed her mind last night. As an adoptive mom, and a mom who has experienced a failed adoption first hand, I can understand the heartache she is feeling today. It is such a surreal experience. Even though you don't birth the baby literally you birth the baby in your heart. Does that make sense? When I had to give back my first daughter my heart didn't know the difference. She was mine, I loved her. I had cared for her, fed her, changed her diapers. I had a room ready for her. My arms ached for a month afterward. I experienced a literal pain in my arms. This is the risk we take when we adopt. It is an awful risk, one that you just can't prepare for. I hate that my sister is now experiencing this kind of pain, especially after everything they have been through. I am praying that God will comfort them and that His name will be glorified through this. He has a wonderful plan for their family. He loves them and loves Tess and loves her birthmom. The Lord will be the one who sees them through this devastation. We, her friends and family, are called to be His hands and His feet right now. So if you think of them, pray. Maybe drop a line of encouragement on their blog. I want her to feel so loved right now during this time where they feel "forgotten."

I finally got to the place where I could accept what happened even though I didn't understand why. I felt called to pray for my baby and pray for her birthmom. Maybe she didn't have anyone else her life to lift her up. Maybe we planted seeds in her life. We will probably never know on this side of heaven. So for now I will just go on not understanding but trusting God.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Kim is so luck to have a sister like you. Not many of us have felt the pain that she is going through. Atleast you can be there for her and actually be able to understand her feelings. I am praying for your family.

ShannonLayne said...

Kathy my heart is out to your family i love you all i wish i could take away all the pain i love you guys
Miss Yah-Yah

Michelle said...

I am so sorry about what is happening to your sister. I will be praying for her and your whole family. This kind of experience effects everyone. Again I am really sorry.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for your family. I can't get them off my mind. let us know if you need anything. thank you for taking Ella today. I bet the girls had so much fun together!

Mom said...

Sweet Kathy, it is so hard to see my children hurting. I just feel like you, we have to trust God`s plan. I still pray for our other M. She would be 6 and I hope she is in a safe place. I will treasure holding Tess. I just cry for Kim and my heart is broken. Love Mom

Becki Francy said...

Kathy-
Your family means the world to me...and to my family. You are a beautiful shining example of Christs love...Thank you so much for allowing me to help yesterday....even if it was just diapers and tucking in...you are an amazing sister, your family does not deserve this....Know how much I love you guys. Beautiful post...I will pray today also for M#1....and I will throw one in for our S#1 too!
Becki

Liz said...

I, too, don't know why these things happen but I now that our God is still on the throne even though it might feel as though he walked away. I will/have been praying for your sister and I won't stop until I am told too! I am so glad that she has you. I remember that day when you said hello and good bye to babyM but I also remember rejoicing in Madalyn too! It was so much sweeter!! I know Kim will too! She will rejoice and she will still be blessed.

Liz