Saturday, June 9, 2007

Yes, I admit it I am a Type A Person and that's ok!









For those of you who don't know, which is very few of you because I am obnoxious and can't quit talking about it, our family is going on a 10 day Disney cruise to the Mediterranean! Yes, you heard me right, the Mediterranean!!!!


ONLY 39 days to go!!! I am soooo excited. Can you tell? Jarrett's mom and dad surprised us at Christmas with "the trip of a lifetime" to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary. It also happens to be our 10th anniversary this summer so Jarrett is getting off easy as far as planning a romantic getaway. We are going to some amazing ports that are full of rich history and beauty. We are so blessed! There will be 10 of us travelling together, here is the cast of characters:




Jarrett-32


Kathleen-33


Nathan-6


Madelyn-4


Grammie-fifty something


Grampy- fifty something


Uncle Blake-30 something


Aunt Jennifer- 30 something


Nick- 13


Ally- 7






Ok, I am going to make a confession: I suffer from "CPD: Compulsive Planning Disorder" Ever since we found out about the trip I have been in researching mode. Half the fun for me is the planning, it just feds my excitement. Now, don't get me wrong, I can occasionally be spontanoues and not overplan but this trip is different. It is seriously a once in a lifetime kind of trip. (Plus I have to pack for 4 people for 13 days, that requires some thoughtful planning) I never thought I would go to Europe in my life and I honestly don't know much about the places we will be visiting. So I am trying to learn the basics so I don't look a total idiot and can enjoy the places we are going.



For the last couple of months every night after the kids would go to bed I would cuddle up on the couch, connect to the Internet and start reading. I researched cruise websites to find out out what kind of excursions people had enjoyed in the past and what are the must sees at each port. I started reading other peoples blogs and even got to start "chatting" or "dissing" with other cruise members that are going on the same cruise as us. I will already have a group of friends on board when we get there. We are having a meet and greet the first day on the ship. Jarrett said there is no way he is going!! He has had more fun poking fun at me about this. But you know what, I know that deep down he loves me for my obsessiveness.






The big decision, for me at least, was deciding on excursions. There are so many to choose from and of course, none offer everything you want to do... so you have some serious choices to make.
The other complicating factor is that Disney Cruise Line opened excursion reservations on line at 3 AM! Yes, you read that right... So I had to set the alarm and get up in the middle of the night to try and book the excursions I wanted. I also hoped for Palo dining reservations, (Palo is an adult only restaurant that is supposed to have amazing food.) but that became secondary. The computer lines were down at 3am. I wasn't a happy camper..but what can you do?

They finally came online that afternoon.
In deciding on our excursions, we laid out the itinerary so we could see where we'd be the day before and the day after each port. Didn't want to book back to back 8-9 hour excursions.. whew.... I had already booked private tours in Rome and Naples so I didn't have to worry about those ports.
The very first excursion I attempted to book was for Villefranche -- Convertible Car Tour of the Cote d'Azur. This was the one tour Jarrett was most interested in. Yes you and your companion get to drive around the French Riveria in your own convertible! It was VERY disappointing to see this was completely booked when I got online. I guess all the concierge guests (who get to reserve prior to the Castaway Club members) gobbled them all up. Since that time, I have heard from some on later cruises that this excursion seems to be unavailable even when things "open up". Hmm.. We are not booking anything for this port in hopes that something will open up when we get there.


Here are the ports of call we will be visiting:




















If you know anything about any of these places please let me know. I am working on a booklet that I will have professionally bound by my support staff (AKA Jarretta) that will include all the information needed for each port, itineraries, packing lists, airline info, emergency phone #'s, etc. It will be a smaller size so that it can fit in a backpack easily. I am doing this for each family that we are travelling with. Don't make too much fun of me because I may just send you one too. I know you want one!


Ciao! (that's Italian for Goodbye}


PS Drop me a line and let me know you stopped by.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live with a lady much like you. Your kind can be very anal in travel situations. Maybe you should just relax and take the trip as it goes. You have done your homework and booked your excursions. Now just sit back and relax, Everything will work out. If something doesn't, it just make a good opportunity for a relaxing nap in the sun on the ship's deck.

One last comment. Since you have been on the internet for the last four months every night. Maybe you should put the computet down and pamper your husband for the next 39 days. I would do whatever he wants. After all it is his parents that are taking you on this trips. Boy did you pick the right husband.

Anonymous said...

I am sure that what you have requires some kind of medication. I am willing to look into that for you if you would like.

Everyone should way appreciate what you have done. I know that when we went on vacation with you... I didn't do a darn thing and it was nice. Except when Jarrett almost killed my unborn child during the jeep ride. :)

What exactly is Jarretta wanting you to do every night for the next 39 days??