Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Frugal Living





This picture will make since after you read my post. For some reason I can't move my pics around.
Lately I have been thinking a lot about living more frugally. I am not sure why really,but I am. Since I have been stuck at home due to the ice last week and Madelyn being so sick this week I have had some time to research ideas of how to be more frugal. I have always been interested in couponing and deal finding but I am just not seeing the savings I would like. Our family has always tried to live below our means and save for things before we buy them. Don't get me wrong, I have so many "Things" that I want. I struggle with being content and thankful for what I have. It seems I always want More. For instance, I really want granite for my kitchen and a King size bed and new bedroom furniture right now. There is a part of me that just wants to run out and buy it now and pay for it later. Or better yet, do 6 months no interest. But I know better. Those are traps and always come to bite you in the long run. Sometimes I believe the lie that what I have isn't good enough, trendy enough, that I will be happy if I just have more or something different. I believe that God wants us to be content in Him. He is Enough, He is Good, He is trendy. He will never go out of style!! Oh, how I struggle. There is a bedroom suite calling my name. But I will wait, I will save, and oh how much sweeter will that new bed be when I pay cash for it.




We went through Financial Peace (Dave Ramsey) a couple of years ago and it changed our lifes and how we think about money. I highly recommend it! Sometimes I hate those envelopes but they do help us stay on track.




Because of our 2009 Financial goals I really need to amp up our savings. The one category that I feel that I can shave some $ off of is groceries/household expenses. I will try to share some frugal tips with you over the next few weeks. Maybe we could call it "FRUGAL FRIDAYS"




Here is one that I came across today:




Make your own dryer sheets.




1. Dip an old washcloth in liquid fabric softener.


2. Ring it out.


3. Let it dry.


4. It can be used 12 times.




**I am not sure if it will work but we will see**






Another thing we are doing is trying to eat more left overs. We aren't big leftover eaters but I know it will save us money on our groceries.








6 comments:

Becki Francy said...

Love the ideas...can't wait to see what you come up with!

Sheri said...

Never used that fabric softner trick but I do buy the cheap ones and cut them in half. They last twice as long and do the same job. And it's easy;)

I've started doing breakfast for dinner once a week. Kids love it and it's cheap!

Steven said...

we try to cook a big meal on monday night and make it last for lunch and dinner on tuesday. Cook once eat twice...saves time and money.

You could also cut out the home phone if you dont need it for the internet.

Bringing lunch to work has made the biggest difference for us.

good luck

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see what you share with us. I'm always looking for ways to save money.

ellen said...

Did you watch Oprah about the frugal family? I dvr'd it but haven't watched it yet.

Thanks for the sweet call. So glad I wasn't the only one who spilled the beans!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to be happy with what we have though we need to concentrate on what He has blessed us with!!!!! Two beautiful healthy children! hope that Maddy is feeling better!