Sunday, February 22, 2009

WHATZ UP??





Well, we are finally well here at the Short home, two of us are still on antibiotics but feeling much better.
I have entered a new phase in life, working mom. I started substitute teaching a couple of weeks ago with the intention of doing it 2 days a week. Instead I have been doing it everyday. This week is already booked solid as well as 3 days next week. I love it but I am having a hard time balancing everything else that I take care of at home. Jarrett has been amazing and really stepped up to the plate. He has been such a big help to me! I also have been blessed with some great friends that have helped me by picking up the kids from school. I am so not used to having to ask for help. The kids are at different schools so sometimes that makes pick up hard when I am not subbing at either of their schools. This week I am subbing in special ed all week. 3 days in the autistic class and 2 in the MR class. I have really enjoyed special ed but do not think I could teach it full time. We are praying about me going back to teaching full time next year. I never ever thought I would go back. I sold all my stuff. But I did keep up my certification, just in case.
This change is exciting and sad. I am sad that my babies aren't babies anymore. I loved being home with them all day, every day. I am such a homebody so this season really suited me. I really can't believe that part of my life is over. So, it is time to move on and find joy in this new season. It is exciting because my babies are getting bigger and growing into such great people. They are fun to be around and we can do all sorts of things that we couldn't when they were younger. It's exciting because I am getting a paycheck for the first time in 8 years!! There is something rewarding about that. (trust me, it has nothing to do with the amount, because it ain't much) LOL. . Subbing is great for me because I have none of the extra responsibilites that just wore me out in the past, I just get to do what I love, teach! I am learning how to balance everything and learning to let certain things go. So we will see where God leads me as far as a job goes, I want to serve my family only in the way HE wants me to.
When we moved into our house when Nathan was one we used the formal dining room as a play room. We would jokingly call it the formal playroom. It was filled with all his sweet baby toys. We would spend hours everyday in there playing and reading. He learned how to walk in there. I would spend hours in the middle of the night in there with Madelyn when she was a newborn and had her days and nights mixed up. We hosted playgroups in that room. Over the years the toys changed but it continued to be the favorite hangout room for the kids and their friends. Then when we were homeschooling we turned it into a school room. We ripped the carpet out, laid wood, then we could do art and science experiements without having to worry about spills. It was such a great school room. So much was learned and discovered in there. The last few months it has sat empty. I cleared out all of the school stuff and pretty much just left Madelyn's gymnastic mat in there. Ok, I am a dork, I am crying. That room has changed with each season our lives. Today it was painted. The holes patched, the crayon marks coverd, but the memories remain. Today dining room furniture was placed in it. Today formal china was unpacked after 12 years of sitting in their original boxes. Today crystal was carefully placed in a beautiful hutch. Today I have a grown up room that is begging to be decorated. I am blessed. All my pics of baby days are pre-digital camera...




PS I am a deal seeking kind of momma, and boy did we get a deal on this furniture. A lady from Jarrett's office was selling it. It came with a table with 2 extensions, a full set of pads , 6 chairs, and the hutch. They don't have children so it looks brand spanking new. So now I am need of ideas for a rug, drapes and accessories. We are also adding trim to the white part to make it look like faux wainscoating and we will eventually recover the chairs with a more kid friendly fabric. I would love to hear your ideas!!

9 comments:

Mom said...

Kathy I love the new dining room furniture. You did a great job setting up hutch display and you all had dinner in the new room -----WOW !!!!!! We love you. love Mom and Dad

Karen said...

Don't you just feel so grown up & fancy having dining room furniture!!!

I am in the same boat as you are with the ever changing seasons of life but we are trying to decide if it is God's plan for me to continue working or to stay home for a bit. I am asking Him to make His voice loud and clear.

kim said...

looks great Kathy! I love the color you picked for the walls!

Becki Francy said...

Love the color, love the set...love your story....I got kind of choked up hearing about the changes....teaches me to enjoy where I am right now...It was good to see you the other day....I think you should do the heavy chocolate drapes like kim said...I just love brown on brown!

Sheri said...

Well, I don't need photos to remember all of that! I can still picture baby Maddie tucked into your Baby Bjorn while Nathan and Alea played nearby. Oh, the memories!

The new room looks greaat so far and I'm sure whatever you choose will look fantastic.

I still think you need to get that nursing degree.... you should get paid for helping people like me that call when our kids are sick; Seriously, if teaching isn't what you want you would make an excellent NICU/PICU nurse!!!!!!!! And you pick your hours and get paid tons.... well, tons more than teaching;)

If you ever stop subbing and need a late lunch buddy, give me a ring! We need to catch up!

Miss you buddy! ....I don't even get to wave to you any more:(

Steven said...

Thanksgiving dinner at kathys house....


it looks nice i really like the wall color and the furiture.

Anonymous said...

wow...now you can host formal dinners! :o) I love the color and can remember those playgroups all too well! good luck subbing in special ed. you are a better person than I am for doing that! I will pray for you during this time of transition both physically and emotionally. I was almost there... though with this unexpected baby coming in 10 weeks, I guess we are going to have to wait another what, 8 years?!? you are blessed friend.

ellen said...

awwwww...big hugs to you as you transition into this new season in your life!

i loved what you wrote about that room. sweet memories.

WIDNEY WOMAN said...

That is so funny! I was thinking about your dining room a couple of weeks ago, wondering if you still had it as a playroom/classroom, or had converted to a dining room. Looks great. I'm sure your family will continue to create many new and wonderful memories in that room.