Wednesday, January 28, 2009

SNOW DAYS








I love snow days! The kids are having a blast sleeping in, playing board games, playing video games and just hanging out. My house is a pit, the laundry is piling up, the floors need to be mopped, the bills need to be paid but I think I am just going to snuggle up under a warm blanket and read a book.
I made this potato soup that was so so good the other day. I had never made it before. and am actually shocked that it turned out. It is perfect for these cold days!
Creamy Potato Soup
4 slices bacon
3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
water to cover
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon paprika
In a large saucepan cook bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside, along with 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings.
Add potatoes, onion, carrot and celery to drippings. Add enough water to cover vegetables and cook over low heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
In a separate bowl, stir together sour cream, flour and paprika. Gradually stir 1 cup of hot soup mixture into sour cream mixture.
Pour sour cream mixture into sour mixture. Cook until good and bubbly hot. Top with chopped bacon pieces.
We don't like celery so I left it out. Also, I didn't cut the potatoes small enough so they took forever to soften up.

6 comments:

Steven said...

we had an ice day this morning.... didnt have to go to work til 10am....

stay warm up there and be safe

Becki Francy said...

YUMMY!!! I wrote it all down- I LOVE potatoe soup....such fun warm days huh????

Dawn said...

I have been craving potato soup AND stew!

I shall try this. I'll have to leave out the celery though. I love it but no one else does. :(

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

I'm glad the kids have been enjoying their time off.

My house looks pretty much the same way - a mess!!! Ugh!

Michelle said...

That looks pretty good. Also, looks like the kids were all smiles getting to go outside. My kids were sure glad to go out today. :)

Unknown said...

Yum! You're soup sounds wonderful!!!

Tina said...

Ooof, you're making me hungry!:)

On a different note...Kirk, the boys, and I along with Melissa, Rus and the girls, my parents and my in-laws are wanting to go to Disney next spring break. HELP!!!!!!!!!!! We want a great trip on a low budget.--Think you can give us some tips?!