Thursday, April 12, 2007

Madelyn's Shot Adventure



Sweet little Madelyn, I can't believe my baby is 4? Well, today she had to endure her 4 year old shots. I have been preparing her for weeks now and her appointment has been rescheduled several times because of a shortage of the vaccines so I don't think she really believed me when I told her today was the day. You see, she is the type of child who needs a lot of prep time and coaching before she does anything new or something she is unsure of. All of our preparation and roll playing however did not help in any way, shape or form. It started with her not wanting to get out of the car. I tell you what, that child is strong! After I bribed her with a piece of Juicy Fruit we made it into the building. (Don't judge me Dr. Bevins, they are only her baby teeth and she already has cavities, what is one more piece of gum)

In the waiting room Madelyn hid in the corner and firmly planted her bottom on the floor and was not going to get up. After I used a little creative parenting I got her to go to the exam room and that is when the all out meltdown occurred. I don't know why the nurse had to mention that she was going to give her 4 shots, I had only prepared her for 1 shot. She started screaming that she only wanted one! (Did I mention that this is a new pediatrician, I really am trying to make a good impression but failing miserably at this point) I could not get her to calm down so the nurse called in for reinforcements. Two nurses double teamed it and got the job done. As the shots were going in Madelyn was screaming so loud that I was afraid she was going to choke on her juicy fruit. I could see straight to the back of her mouth and lucky for her, her tonsils are so big that it held the gum in her mouth. Getting those out will be next weeks adventure. She will have them removed on the 23rd. When all the torture was over she stopped crying and said "Get me out of this place!" Afterwards we went for a victory lunch at McDonalds! At first she couldn't walk into the restaurant but when she saw the play land she was miraculously healed. Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

CRACKING ME UP ALREADY SHORT!!!! I am so glad you have finally come to the dark side. Be careful... it is addicting.

Poor Maddie....

Mc Allen said...

aww, I hope she feels better now! Chelsea said she was really great, and that she cant wait to hang out with them again!! peyton says to tell her "HI"!!