Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Dear Nathan





Dear Nathan,

Today you flew, no you soared! Today was your first day of second grade at Hodson Elementary. Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you! When you woke up this morning you said, "Hurry mom, get my clothes, it's my first day." I have never seen you get dressed so fast in your life. This was just one small victory for you today. Usually mommy has to tell you at least 10 times to get dressed then I end up helping you each step of the way. Daddy went to work late this morning just so he could see his boy go to school. When we pulled up to the school you saw your buddy Max. His mommy brought him early just so you boys could walk into school together. Wasn't that sweet?? You were so brave Nathan and you never looked back. We got to walk you to your classroom and see where you would be spending your days. There was already a desk with your name on it. Your teacher is really nice and made you feel very welcomed. I knew I would miss you terribly but I knew this was what was best for you. You were ready! Daddy drove mommy home then my tears started. Sometimes Mommy's just cry not neccesarily because we are sad but just because. Someday you will understand. God has opened so many doors for you sweet one and He has an awesome and mighty plan for your life! Mommy and Daddy did not take the decision to send you to school lightly. We prayed and prayed, prayed, and prayed some more. We really try to trust the Lord with each aspect of your life.

I drove to the Y and tried to stop my tears. It was really weird going without you. You have been my Y buddy for the last 2 years. It was even stranger going home afterward to a completely silent house. Mommy all of a sudden has this new found freedom, ok, that is weird too. I decided I would spend the day cleaning and doing laundry which have been neglected that last couple of weeks so I could focus on spending time with you. My thoughts kept drifting and wondering to what you were doing? I would start to worry then I would pray. As I was praying the phone rang and it was Mrs. Ingram. She is mommy's friend from church and is on your IEP team. She will make sure you get all the support that you need at school. She just called to tell me that you were doing great and were participating and didn't even need the para's. I am so thankful to the Lord that He cared enough to have Mrs. Ingram call me and reassure me. Then at lunch time we got an email from your teacher saying that you were doing great but were very quiet and maybe a bit overwhelmed by it all. Baby, I would have felt a little overwhelmed too if it was my first day at a new school. Let alone going from "homeschooling" and peace and quiet to lots of kids, new noises, new smells, new people, new rules, etc. Nathan, Jesus is always with you and will help you each day.
When I picked you up you were happy and you even shared with me bits and pieces of your day. You liked recess and music and were excited that you got to go to the Library and motor room. We want you to remember that when things get hard or uncomfortable to keep trying and never give up!
Nathan we are so excited for you as you start on this new journey. We are proud of you sweet one!!!

Hugs and Kisses,

Mommy

7 comments:

Sheri said...

I'm proud of both of you!

Have a great year in second grade!

Dawn said...

Yay!! I'm so happy both of you had such a good first day!!

Kate said...

What a beautiful letter! You're a wonderful mother!

zum the mum said...

What a sweet boy and a sweet Mommy!!! I'm so glad it went well. I know that couldn't have been an easy day for you. God is awesome, isn't HE?

I will keep praying that everything continues to go smoothly!

Yea Nathan!!!!

Anonymous said...

you made me cry reading this. I am glad that God has given you peace about this Kathy. you are doing what is best. call me and we can go to lunch one day now! :o) what size shoes are Maddie in? I have a brand new pair of stride rite (Bailey wore them like 5 times) 11 1/2 that need some happy feet!

Becki Francy said...

Kathy -
What a sweet letter for your son. Really it was beautiful and touching. You really have an amazing family and extended family. I too have a hard time letting go...I would have been tears all day. Sounds like he did GREAT!!!!

Karen said...

What a sweet letter - he will do great!