Sunday, December 7, 2008

A little of this, a little of that...

It has been a fun week at the Short home. Several of you asked me why in the world would Gracie need to wear the lamp shade on her head. Well, she has a sore on her paw that she was licking. It got really bad so for the next 6 weeks she has to wear this or have a $500 laser surgery.

Madelyn was honored as student of the month at her school. She was very excited and we were very proud!




Nathan played Christmas songs at Barnes and Noble with his piano teacher. He just started taking lessons in July and this was his first public concert. He was so excited and I loved the fact that he was confident. He thought they might pay him and he would become famous. Maybe someday! Both sets of grandparents and my sister Kim came to hear him play. We were all so proud of him. There were times, years ago, that I could have never imagined him doing something like this. God reminds me daily of what a miracle he is.



We went to Utica Square for our annual visit to Santa Claus. There was no line this year, usually we wait for 30 minutes or more. Santa asked Madelyn what she wanted and she thought for a moment then said, "Ask my brother first." Nathan's response cracked us up, or maybe it was more the way he said it, "Santa, the things I want this year are quite popular items. I would like a zero gravity car, a punching bag and gloves, a Nintendo DS, and a Star Wars Clone War Wii game." After walking around Utica we went on a light tour around mid town. I love those older homes!












Madelyn had some dental work done before school one morning. She wore a sticker to school saying "watch me my lips and checks are numb" When I picked her up from school that afternoon her lip was swollen and had a nasty looking sore on it because she chewed it up. She also stuck a marker cap on her chin and pushed so hard it tore her chin up. It looked like someone beat her up. She didn't realize she was hurting herself.

Our garage door broke this week and for the whopping price of $170 we got two new springs. When Jarrett came home one night he put the door down and came in and thought it shut. The next morning when he went out he saw that the door was up. Both of our cars were unlocked, the back door to the house was unlocked, my purse was in the car, Jarrett's laptop was in his car. Miraculously nothing was stolen. Our house is the third house from the main street so anyone could have seen it open. We were just praising Jesus that nothing was taken and more importantly that no one came into the house. Ok, so that was our week. I will be busy getting ready for our SURPRISE trip to Disney this week. We leave a week from tomorrow. I really can't believe I have kept it a secret for a year.

8 comments:

Liz said...

good luck getting ready for disney!!!! i am so excited for the kids to find out!! have funnn!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you kept it for a year either. That is a LONG time!!!! Good for you!!

I can't wait... just as soon as the "plague" leaves our house....we are gone!!!!!

Steven said...

i heard nathan was pretty amazing i cant wait to hear him play.

i hope you film the kids reaction when you get to the airport....

i am excited and i am not even going

Becki Francy said...

Had soooo much fun catching up today. Wish I had read this before I came over, you wouldn't have had to relive the garage door/dog fiasco! OH well! We have to do that again....on a regular basis!

Dawn said...

We've slept with the garage open on several ocassions. I leave my purse in the car as well. Ugh! But, we don't live close to the entrace of our neighborhood either. I'm so glad you all remained safe and nothing was stolen.

I can't believe poor Maddie's mouth/chin. I mean, for goodness sake, she was wearing a sticker that told people to watch for that sort of thing. Maybe next time she shouldn't wear the sticker and nothing will happen! LOL

I'm so excited you all are getting to go to Disney! The kids will be so surprised. We took Courtney a few years ago. HOpefully we can take Camryn some day.

Karen said...

I laughed out loud when I read about Maddie injuring her chin and all because she could not feel it!

Have fun getting ready for your trip - I know y'all will have a great time.

Christy R said...

We LOVE going to Utica Square at Christmas time! I kinda wished my girls still believed in Santa - it just made it that more "magical" for them! Oh well, I guess they had to find out the truth sometime!

I can't wait to hear about your Disney trip! I know you'll have a blast! Tell Cinderella we said "hi"!

Sheri said...

Kathy- we too have slept with the garage open, doors unlocked, etc. and about freaked when we discovered it. Then we figured out Blake was accidentally hitting the button on his keys when he set them down..... so glad it was his fault and not mine;)

I'm savoring the Student of the Month..... Not so sure we'll be there this year.... let's just say we've had a lot of contact with the teacher.

If I don't talk to you, have a great trip!