Saturday, December 20, 2008

Surprise you are going to Disney World!

Monday morning we decided to surprise the kids with an early Christmas present. We sat them down in front of the tree and gave them each a present.
(I have been looking forward to the reveal for a year! I had it totally built up in my mind. They saw me packing and I told them we were going to Aunt Kris’s house in OKC to spend the night. Which was the truth but then we had a change of plans. We weren’t going to surprise them until the morning of our flight but with the extreme cold and ice storm we decided to get a hotel at the airport instead of spending the night 30 minutes away at my sister’s house.)
As they were opening them we explained that this present was a clue to their big present. With much anticipation they opened the gifts and they seemed pretty excited to see the Minnie and Mickey T-shirts. But they didn’t seem to get the clue. We told them that we were going to visit Minnie and Mickey where they live and then they got “it”. They were happy and Nathan sat there bug eyed when I told them we were leaving in the morning and flying on an airplane. Then Madelyn asks, “Are we going after we spend the night at Aunt Kris’s house?” I said, “No silly, that was just a joke so mommy could pack without spoiling your surprise gift. We are sleeping at a hotel. But we will see Aunt Kris for dinner tonight.”
Then the unthinkable happened. M started shrieking and crying and saying she didn’t want to go to Disney World, she wanted to go see her cousin Megan and Aunt Kris. Then Nathan chimes in, “I don’t want to go until January, I want to see Megan and play at her house.” Jarrett and I stared at each other in total disbelief. I started listing all the fun things we would do but they would hear none of it. We didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? WHAT KID WOULD NOT DIE TO GET A SURPISE TRIP TO THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH?? Our surprise did not go at all how we dreamed it would. I am still glad that we didn’t tell them a year or even a month in advance but I should have planned the reveal better.

Up next, Will N and M have a change of heart? Will mom and dad still want to take them?

PS Sorry there are no pics but we were videotaping the moment. I will try to post the video later.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, I would have gone with you in a heartbeat! can't wait to see pics!!!!! hope you are enjoying the what, 80 degree weather there?!?

Dawn said...

Boy, kids never do exactly what we want them to do! LOL!

I wonder how many nights you laid awake playing it out in your mind? LOL!

Can't wait to hear about all the fun you had!

Becki Francy said...

I am laughing so hard because I too look for those memorable moments in life, and I feel like I never get them. When Kim told me about this I died laughing. I read it to my husband this morning, he also thought it was absolutely hysterical! Please tell me they had the time of their lives! When can we play again????

Margo said...

Wow! I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and your husband. I guess you just never know how kids are going to react! I'm SURE they will have a fantastic time!

The Raders said...

Kathy, I am cracking up! We just never know how kids will respond. Yours are funny! I know you will all have fun. :-) Merry Christmas!
Cindy Rader

Karen said...

I can not stop laughing - who knew Aunt Kris had a funner house than Micky & Minnie. I bet she is glad to know that she rates!

Christy R said...

That is too funny! I can't wait to hear more about your trip ;-)

kris said...

Now that they have been to Disney they may not think coming to Aunt Kris's is so awesome, but I am glad to know that they love coming to visit. We had a lot of fun hanging out with you guys before your big trip! Come again anytime!