Thursday, January 22, 2009

Keep your lips to yourself!

Nathan has always struggled with spelling and writing, a common issue with asperger kids. He is an incredible reader though. It was a really frustrating issue for me when I was homeschooling him because I just didn't know how to help him. So far at school he has made all A's on his spelling test but C's and D's on the dictation part of the test. Thankfully it is 2 separate grades. He seems to be able to memorize the words but he can not spell them in sentences. This week his words for some reason are very hard for him. We have studied for hours and he is still just not getting it. I have tried everything I know to help him. Now he is saying ,"I am no good at spelling and writing. I can never do it." It just breaks my heart. It seems like just yesterday he didn't have a care in the world and now I see him stressing. He told Jarrett that he wants mommy to homeschool him. Oh, how I would in a millisecond, but this is what is best for him this year. My prayer is that he discovers his passion at an early age so we can nurture it and mold it. The other stuff just won't matter as much.

We also got an email from his teacher today:


Kathy,

Yesterday Nathan started trying to kiss the girls. I talked to him about it and he said he would stop. These girls must be irresistible because he was at it again today. I told him he would loose his stamp today. I also had him go down to Mrs. Ingram's room to chill out a little. I just thought you would want to know about your little lover boy. :)

Becky


I am thrilled that she has a sense of humor about these things. The autism teacher is getting a video for him to watch. Oh mercy!!

This school thing is a whole new adventure. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

11 comments:

ellen said...

That email is hilarious. You are blessed indeed!

Dawn said...

LOL!! Michelle will be able to empathize with you. Her son got in trouble for kissing at school too!

Kathy, I know how it breaks your heart to see him struggle. I really do understand. I'm sorry.

Truly you all need to revamp his IEP.

kim said...

What a great teacher! You have a little lover boy on your hands!

Steven said...

Nathans got some mad game....

that was a nice email from a teacher....

hope you have a great day

ThatsBaloney said...

Michael got in trouble for kissing a girl in 1st grade! He stopped around the second time he was warned.
It is hard to watch them struggle but the social skills he can develop there could benefit him for a lifetime (if supported appropriately). Sounds like they are really working with him!
Michael has the same attitude about anything new and challenging. Can't do it perfect the first try so I'd rather not try. A common trait for people but even harder with an Aspie.
Hang in there!
Is he in a social skills group outside of school?

Michelle said...

Oh Kathy! I will have to share my story with you later. I can totally empathize with you. Oh..I found your blog! I am adding it to my blog list. :)

Sheri said...

Now you tell Na to keep those lips to himself.... he's supposed to marry Ayah and she's not allowed to kiss until she finishes college!

Unknown said...

OMGosh that is too funny!!!! He is the next casanova!

I am with dawn revise the IEP...I have 2 beans with IEPs and we re-evaluate them at the end of each school year to make changes for the coming school year

Becki Francy said...

What a great teacher with a sweet sense of humor. It is always a little easier to swallow. So did you have the birds and bees talk with Casanova??? Just kidding...that is too cute.

Sorry about the struggling. It is so hard as a mom to watch our kids struggle...I will pray for you all!

Anonymous said...

that's great that she's telling you what's going on at school! don't you want to know these things?!? nathan... what a cutie!

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad my kids arent the only ones that are doing silly things at school! Here is my email, thanks for chatting with me at church today
onebug132002@yahoo.com