Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Kindergarten






I didn't sleep well last night and was up this morning by 6:00. Jarrett totally called that one and was prepared for an all nighter. He is such a great guy! We watched the Olympics, ate pringles, and talked and I cried.

It is amazing what you can get done while the kids are still sleeping. I showered, got ready and then made my family a nice sit down breakfast. By 7am everyone was up and eating breakfast. I wrote the kids each a little note that was waiting for them on their plates and sang them the "school days" song that my parents sang to us on the first day of school every year, even the college years.

We took pictures and off we were! When we got to the school there were no parking spots and that's when Madelyn's tears started. We reassured her and she put the tears away and walked in with a smile. I didn't want to get left in the car so I sucked it up and walked her in tearless!! Thanks for the prayers!

She did great and was so excited. She gave us hugs and kisses and a see you later alligator. That was it. No hesitation on her part what so ever!!! One of the little girls that she knew from the "Y" was crying her eyes out and Madelyn went right over to her, grabbed her hand, and tried to comfort her. That gave me such a peace! She is so compassionate! We quickly exited, I think Jarrett was trying to prevent me from having a "moment" or "meltdown" in public! I cried a little in the car and then bust out laughing when Nathan said, "Mom and Dad you are freaking me out! It is JUST School!" You see Jarrett was egging me on, trying to video me crying. Gotta love Nathan's comments!

We got home and got busy starting Nathan's first day of school. I showed him where the cafeteria is (the kitchen), where the bathroom is and where the classroom is. He told me to call him the "new student". I was just being silly. One thing I love about homeschooling is that I know where he is academically and we just start there. We bypass all the beginning of the year getting to know you stuff. We stayed busy all day, learning, cooking and going to Piano lessons. He did an entire weeks worth of science today. So if I calculate this we will be done with chemistry in about 2 weeks. I think I may have my work cut out for me. I keep looking at the clock, wondering what she is doing now? I wish that they had video monitors so I could just peak. You know, just to see that she is happy. Is that weird??

Ok, it is time to pick her up! YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Update: When she saw me she had a mean scowl on her face. I thought oh, no she hated it. I was planning on how to tell Jarrett that she was NOT going back. When she walked up to me I was expecting a HUGE hug and "Mommy I missed you!" Nothing, I got nothing. She barely gave me a side hug. I handed her teacher the fresh homemade cookies and note thanking her for the first day...she told me that Madelyn was a great helper and had a wonderful day. I was totally confused by Madelyn's demeanor. When we got to the car I asked her what was the matter and she said that she was HOT and had been outside for like 18 hours. Then I got a big hug and she said she loved it. Her favorite thing was eating in the cafeteria and "rest your brain" time. Ok, so I guess she is going back tomorrow. I am glad she had a wonderful day and am excited to see what this year brings.

9 comments:

Dawn said...

Yay!! You both made it just fine. I'm so happy she had a great day.

I found myself wondering about Courtney off and on all day. She really liked it. Whew!

Nathan's comment was hilarious!! Nothing like a kid to set us straight!

Michelle said...

YEA for everyone! I thought about you today as I passed Country Lane and Kim's house going to swimming lessons. Next year I will be doing the same thing with Zoe, so I better start preparing now! :-) I told her that she would be going to "big school" next year and she got a HUGE smile on her face and I said I might be a little sad that day and she informed me that "MOM, I am a BIG girl and BIG girls go to BIG school, that's just what we do!" Gotta love it! But, this year it's just Asbury with that wonderful Miss Joanne!! :-) Glad the Short's are off to a great year!!

Mom said...

It was fun to talk to Madelyn this am I started singing the school days song and she said she had already been sung to. I still kept singing .!!!!Ha She sure was excited about her lunch being packed and having an ice pack. So glad she had a great first day. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I've met you once (I did a Bible study at FBC one summer with my friend courtney when she lived here) and I go to Freedom and have several friends who homeschool and are in co-op with you. I found your blog through theirs. Anyway, I sent my little man to school today really wishing I could homeschool him. So I have been right there with you today. I hope I can leave him again tomorrow. The cookies was a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Proud of you big girl!!

I'm so glad she had a good day.

Steven said...

oh how i dreaded that stupid school day song when august rolled around.....

ellen said...

Hugs to you! I think the first day is harder on us moms than the little ones. We worry all day about how they are while they're off having fun!

I think your mom told me you guys sold Otis Spunkmeyer cookies as a fundraiser last year. (or maybe I'm dreaming) If so, would you let me know? They are my all time favorites and I can't find them anywhere!

Karen said...

I sing my kids the school days song too :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! I was looking at the pictures and recognized Madelyn's teacher. She and I went to college together at NSU! Madelyn has a great teacher! Tell her I said hello!!

Kudos to you as well for making it through the first day. Today (Thurs) is Erin's first day. So far, so good for me!!

Diana