Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Madelyn's Eyes

Today was Madelyn's big eye appointment in OKC. Daddy took the day off to go with us. Nathan stayed home and went to music camp at our church then Grammy and Grampy took him to Piano lessons. Madelyn loved having us all to herself. We went for a nice lunch in Bricktown then headed to the eye institue. A couple of weeks ago at her annual eye appointment Dr. Groves found something that didn't look right in her optic nerves so he wanted us to take her to get an eye ultrasound. When we got home that day she told me that when we go to the appointment she was going to hit the dr. with two big popsicle sticks. OHHH Scary!! She even put the sticks in my purse. Since then she would make silly threats every so often. Madelyn has not had a very glamerous reputation with "medical procedures" (Just read last years post about her MRI) I was a little worried that she would be uncooperative for the procedure as well. I prayed that she would do great and she did. She was a trooper!! They stuck a miniture ultrasound wand on her eyes and all around her eyes. I could not stand that one bit. I can't even put a contact in my eye. Madelyn didn't even flinch. We were so proud of her!!! They found calcium deposits in her optic nerve which is a congenatal defect and shouldn't cause anymore problems. She will have to wear glasses the rest of her life but that is not so bad.

3 comments:

Steven said...

Glad to hear everything is Ok with her eyes and glad she was such a trooper

Dawn said...

I love that she went prepared with her popsicle sticks! LOL Good thing she didn't have to use them.

I am happy for her and all of you that her eyes are okay. It's just stressful anytime we think something is wrong with our kids.

Karen said...

I'm glad to hear the appt went well. The thought of having something roll over my eyeball just sounds creepy!