Sunday, July 27, 2008

Tearing down idols!

Last Sunday we decided to take a break or a "fast" from TV, computers, and WII. We had several reasons for the break. I won't bore ya with the details. I will say my house has been much more peaceful. We usually don't watch a lot of tv during the day but the kids were wanting it more and more. Nathan and I had the hardest time. Everyday he would try to talk me out of the electronic break. I held firm. We did let them watch a video on Friday night because they each had a friend over spending the night and something funny happened. They couldn't sit through it. After a few minutes they were back up playing. I also noticed that a lot of forgotten toys were played with this week. Unfortunately, it was too hot to be outside for very long unless we were swimming, which we did a lot of this week. The hardest part for me was the computer. I really love my laptop! One night a couple of weeks ago, I reached for my laptop as it was sitting on top of my Bible on my nightstand, God convicted me that I had made that laptop an idol. WHAAATT! The computer on top of my Bible was such a visual for me. I started thinking about that, I was constantly reaching for my computer to research stuff instead of going to my Heavenly Father's counsel, HIS WORD. It is what I should be reaching for. I have a long way to go. I pray that the Lord will help me tear down the idols in my life. I want to be an example for my children and my hearts desire is for them to always reach for the Ultimate idol rather than all of the false ones in our world. What idols do you have in your life?

In the United States, when someone thinks of idols, he may think only of statues that people worship in certain parts of the world. He may not consider that a television can be an idol. He may not consider that an automobile, house, certain possessions, a hobby, a person, a political party, a cause, a job, a sport, an addiction, lusts, pleasures, or some other thing, can become an idol.
A person may not consider that stubbornness is as idolatry in the eyes of God. Covetousness is also considered idolatry in the eyes of God. A person seldom considers that his own selfishness can be an idol, as "self" is more important than God.
Very few consider that anything, which is more important to a person than obeying God, may be considered an idol.
Astrology, money, gold, silver, investments, success, popularity, pride, and many other such things, are also idols to people.
Idols are an abomination to the Lord. God is a jealous God.
Those that make, possess, or worship idols are cursed.
To put anything before God, or to esteem any created thing more than God the Creator, is wickedness and a form of idolatry.
God’s warning is clear: do not do it.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm glad you made it through the week and went well. That's great.

Very important message you shared. Thank you.

Steven said...

way to go short family....

shell said...

Thanks for sharing your heart! :) It Blessed me!

Michelle said...

That's a good word Kathy! It really spoke to me!

Anonymous said...

That is exactly why I took my blog break. i was spending some crazy time on it!!!

Glad you back.

Anonymous said...

wow.... here I am on the computer! very convicting!! hope you are well! have some more clothes for you. spent the day with your mom today and forgot to give them to her! have fun at the wedding!

Margo said...

Wow...convicting post. I actually read it this morning and then quickly turned off my computer planning on not turning it back on until tonight! Well, I checked my email/blog list right after lunch and then turned it off again. I am going to try to not get on the computer until I have spent some time with God FIRST! Oh, I added you to my link list!